Who am I?
Being asked to describe yourself can be a daunting task. The previous write-up on this page was – to be blunt – too long and was probably read by very few. With that in mind, I’ve decided to keep it simple.
What Do I Do (Professionally)?
A quick look at my LinkedIn Profile and you’ll find that my current full-time work is Social Media and Mobile Products Coordinator at New York University. Since job titles don’t really provide an accurate look at what one actually does – here’s what I am:
- A social media strategist
- A social media trainer
- An events coordinator (for the Social Media Ambassadors Group on campus)
- A digital marketer
- A coach and consultant as needed across the global campus
Of course, outside of work I engage in a wide variety of activities to help advanced my continued interest in the digital marketing space. This includes (but is not limited to) podcasting, blogging, and personal brand coaching.
But hey, I’m more than that. Here’s a few fun facts that will help you get to know me!
Fast Facts on Chris Barrows
- Is 31 years of age
- Enjoys working in the city that never sleeps (never a dull moment)
- Has somehow managed to find the time to obtain two college degrees
- Obtained his Master’s Degree in Instructional Technology in 2012
- Proud to have worked in the social media field for 6+ years
- Twitter is his favorite social media network (esp. because of Twitterchats)
- A diehard baseball fan who believes fantasy baseball only enhances enjoyment of the sport
- But loves sports as a whole – esp. the New York Yankees, New York Giants, and the Nebraska Cornhuskers (that one’s a long story)
- Will consider connecting with someone on LinkedIn provide they include a message that gives him a good idea why he should connect with them (if he hasn’t met them previously)
- …and will also delink them if they try to spam him with marketing speak immediately following
About Me (from people who know me):
I had the pleasure of working with Chris as a member of the NYU Public Affairs team. After months (and months and months) of persuasion, it was decided that the department would begin to implement and execute social media strategy and outreach. Chris Barrows was tapped to lead these efforts. Chris brought not only thorough industry knowledge (of the social media, digital, and higher education landscapes), but true strategic vision, exemplary management abilities (managing at all levels), and a strong commitment to collaboration, ensuring that everyone was on the same page when it came to our daily efforts.
Chris is an effective communicator with a true passion for his work. He is also a supportive and encouraging colleague (he even made me a “social media star” certificate to illustrate his appreciation of my small efforts).
Any organization looking for a strong communicator, an effective leader, and a true social media strategist would fully benefit from having Chris Barrows on the payroll.
Account Director (worked with Chris at NYU)
Chris can be described as many things but the three words immediately I associate with him are enthusiastic, intelligent and his integrity. It’s rare to find someone whom whole-heartedly enjoys everything they do and has that unique ability to transfer their excitement to those around them, Chris is this person in every situation. Chris doesn’t simply educate himself but he immerses himself with information because he isn’t satisfied with knowing something but to him it is important to fully comprehend everything.
Anyone that has spent five minutes with Chris knows his integrity is unimpeachable, that’s as straight-forward as I can describe it. His best title isn’t listed and that is loving, supportive, dedicated husband and father.
Sales Manager at Best Buy (worked with Chris at Best Buy)
Social media is as much a polite conversation as it is data-driven understanding of how we communicate. Chris Barrows understands that data, what it means, how to use it to your benefit, as well as the polite conversation that has to happen to help you meet your goals.
Content Strategist (Worked with Chris at NYU)